View Single Post
Old 08-16-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
I will check that thread. I visited the Rythmik site and wonder if their entry-level model could satisfy my need? After all, mine is a small listening room with a near-field setup. L12 Direct Servo subwoofer

BTW, this is what I have now: Velodyne DLS-3500R

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/38...Dls-3500r.html
Velodyne has a good reputation. But I see yours is 1) a single 8", 2) ported, 3) goes down to 34Hz only, 4) low wattage amp - 175 watts IIRC, 5) sounds like you have one sub

1) 8" is a bit small for the primary sub(s). I have 12", the 8's that Rosco has are dual 8" drivers.
2) I believe a sealed sub is better for music. Theater guys like ported for the thunder bass for movie viewing.
3) I have Rythmik F12's that he specs at going down to 14Hz (it has settings to go down to 14, 20, 28).
4) The F12 is 400watts
5) Two subs make an incredible difference. If you are looking at buying a single sub, keep the Velodyne as the second sub, but a pair of good ones is worth moving towards.

If budget is at issue, I think an L12 along with your velodyne would give you marked improvement. If you can do it, go for the F12 and set sights on a second one at some point. Getting a single F12 would give you that option rather than getting an F12 as a second sub and having it with the L12.

I've not heard the L12 though. I bet it is darn good for the money. The difference between the L12 and F12 is probably relatively small and probably evident only at the higher output levels.

You will find that, if you are in the 48 states, shipping is included and he gives a 10% discount (or has) for buying two subs. That would make a pair of L12s $971. Probably the best deal around.

Post a question describing your needs on his thread. Make clear that you are interested in music as the discussion is often dominated by videophiles whose needs for bass are very different. Keep that in mind with responses you get as many of video folks will say to get a bigger one (15" or 18") and will argue that ported is just as good (Brian seems to think otherwise - ported for theater, sealed for music). I'm sure you will get some input from several that have the L12. Maybe even someone who had the L12 and moved up to the F12.

One thing that has been solid in my setup has been my pair of F12's. I've never felt the itch to change them for anything else.