View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 03:11 PM

George Flush,

Quote:
- Does DF-65 work as a preamplifier once configured as a crossover?
You cannot control volume in DF-65, nor with DG-58 (directly and easily, only by going on menu and set level).
That is a sad reality, and in my opinion an omission, for these units.

If you only have digital sources you can connect the system all in digital like this:

DP-xyz --->(digital) DG-58 --->(digital) DF-65 and then in analog to amplifiers.
The level will be set in digital by the source, and if done well there will be no particular problems.

Quote:
- Can frequency response be equalized with DF-65? I'll treat the room but also want the last 10% of greatness only achieved by digital correction, goal is to have B&K curve frequency response at listening position. Do I need to add DG-58 to achieve this?
The DF unit only acts as an active crossover. For corrections, you need a DG unit.
And in my experience regarding my DG-58, a "last 10%" scenario is the ideal field for the DG-58 unit. Don't ask him to correct badly problematic systems, for those cases, more technological advanced solution like Dirac will work better. But in an already correct and good system, a DG-58 can surely give that last mile of greatness.

Quote:
- Do I need to add an analog preamplifier to the setup (this would be a deal breaker for price reasons)?
I was on the same boat, and for a while I set the level with my old DP-75. It worked well and I didn't experience any particular quality problem with my usual 16/44 material at my usual SPL.
But then the upgrade bug got me and I acquired a C-2420 that I basically use *just to set volume*.

Quote:
how do I connect those units to the PC? SPDIF PCI-E card? From what I understand, HS-LINK (RJ-45 ethernet connectors) only works with Accuphase
Spdif. HSLINK is only between Accuphase units.

And that, in my opinion, is another slight problem of the DG-58: only 1 coax, 1 optical (and 1 HS Link) input.
(If you use for example a DC-901 as a source, you can put the DG-58 in a digital out-in loop, and then all digital inputs of the 901 -and there are many- will be processed by DG-58.)
Another alternative would be to purchase an old Accuphase digital preamplifier, DC-300 or DC-330: you'll get many inputs, a digital loop for DG-58, and a very nice digital volume control. Then you can output a digital signal to DF-65.

Last edited by Mattia; 08-10-2017 at 03:28 PM.