View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
The 500's sound like fantastic speakers. I was not familiar with them so I read up. I know I'm stating the obvious here but they are nearly 3x the price of the 7T's. Just for comparison, I'd like to see what Michael Kelly would come up with in that price range.
If you read my comments it's clear that I'm not comparing the Aerial 7T's to the 500's. If you read the thread I've clearly been comparing the Aerial 7T's with subs and in my case with the JL Audio CR1 Electronic Crossover. Considering what I had with the Aerial 7T's, including cables for the subs, cables for the crossover and power cords that I purchased brings the delta in "retail" cost to less than 10K retail of the PL500's.

Here are my comments: Now that I've added dual subs, I know Ill keep the
7Ts for a long time. (5/22/2015)
I agree the 7Ts are some of the best speakers out there with subs. If the room is relatively big, then I submit adding subs are a must! That being said, the 7Ts are at a specific price point for a reason. Although I haven't heard the 20Ts, I'm assuming they must be better than the 7Ts. I'm sure the 12Ts will be a step-up from the 7Ts. I think they compete against speakers above their price category, but I do think they have their limitations. You may prefer Aerial 7Ts with subs (5/2/2016)
It's hard because the 7Ts with subs are really, really great. (5/9/2016)

It's silly to compare the 7T's without subs directly to the 500s. 1) Price difference(although price isn't always an indicator of better) 2) My room is more suitable to a full range speaker and I wouldn't compare the 500s to the 7T's in a smaller room

My comments really aren't about the 7T's, but more about my dissatisfaction with subs. A year ago I posted, "Now that I've added dual subs, I know I'll keep the 7Ts for a long time. Yet, after several months with subs, something just didn't sound correct. Every time I've had subs, I've ended up dissatisfied and selling them. Because of my room's dimensions I wanted/ required a full range speaker and I found that with the PL500s.

Finally you said, "Just for comparison, I'd like to see what Michael Kelly would come up with in that price range." If you read my post from 5/2/2016 in this thread, I clearly mentioned the 20T's and 12T's. To be honest with you, I was trying to wait for the 12T's, but I was presented such a great opportunity to purchase the PL500s I couldn't resist. I'm grateful and extremely happy I purchased the PL500's.