Thread: Charles System
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Thanks to all so very much for the positive comments.

Apexorca, thank you for thinking about my system. What a great system you have. You are correct that I do have significant absorption in my room but not as much as I used to. The Alexx has a smoother treble and midrange than my previous speakers and has allowed me to make the room more diffuser, i.e. reflective which makes for a livelier sound. I am going to take your advice. There should be some firm around where I live. I suspect my room should be re-done for acoustics. At present I hear no problems either with bass boom at a particular frequency or with treble/midrange. Imaging and sound stage are very good and stable. Almost no grain or harshness. However, this doesn't mean there can't be room for very significant improvement. I'm going to have my room analyzed as you suggest. It is a good room because of its length of 40'. I have echo tunes on the rear ceiling and walls which are a long way away from my sweet spot. I have the Alexx optimized to interface with the Thor. If I wanted more bass from them they would be closer to the rear wall. At present I have a boost probably of 4-5 db at 40 Hz and 5-6 db at 25 Hz. Pretty flat down to well below 20 other than that. I don't find the bass boomy or objectionable and wouldn't want to reduce it. One of the main things the new subwoofer cables and power conditioner/cord did (also new power amp) was to increase the sensitivity/resolution of very soft bass notes all across the whole bass range. How are your Krells working out for you? Have you thought about Master Reference amps? They are among the finest ever produced.
I don't imagine anything else but your system is great. And probably the system have nothing in particular to replace for better sound. During these circumstances the acoustic and AC-power, ground etc almost always is the limitation. Often it's affordable to deal with this things compared to other investments in the system and very very fruitful. Thes things helps the other parts in the system to perform at their best.
It's not easy to realize that before you tried some different things. This is part of my own experience and I think its worth trying. (Friendly advice).

For sure Krell Master Reference are good, but you know, my Krell 350 Mc modified are to drive my Sf Guarneri Memento at work, so it's already kind of crazy system to have in a dental klinik.

My Krell are doing very well I think. The are still breaking in and it's about 120h right now.
I made a test a week ago and compared against my Gryphon. Gryphon is more liquid, smooth, more texture and more air in the presentation. Gryphon also has some more texture and power in the low frequencies. I feels like the bas is bigger and fills the room better. But this is something that has been a bit evened out during the break in period.
Krell loves when I play at about 100db. Gryphon starts to get problems when I play very loud and above 100-105db due to just 150 Watt class A. That is seldom though.

When Krell 350 MC are broken in they are up to a final test against Gryphon and then the will be moved to my dental clinic.