Thread: MC501 Club
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 04:39 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman007 View Post
Way back when the 501's were still new, reading Ivan's posts regarding them led me to buy a pair. over time I bought a 'few' more to run in other rooms and for multi channel use. In 15 years, they have yet to let me down and sound as good or better then the day I bought them. I have a very eclectic collection of music and multiple sources, analog and digital, these amps always bring out the best and truest sound I've ever heard.

As with others here, I found out early on that experimenting with the 2, 4 and 8 ohm taps resulted in sound differences , mostly in the areas of bass and midrange. The 8 ohm tap was a tad too bass heavy for my room and speakers. The 4 ohm taps are just right, giving the best sonic balance of all, bringing life and transparency to the music.

I did not get a chance to hop on board back when and add Ivan's rack handle modification to my 501's. They are crying out for 'the big-boy look', perhaps sometime in the future I can add the mod if it is still available. TBQH, and it goes without saying, that my 501's shal go with me to the grave. They are the last amps I believe I will ever need.

They join ranks with the other long time favorite Mc amps I own, including MC2105's, 2125's, 2205's, and the tube beast MC2102. With efficient speakers in a medium size room, the 501's have all the power and reserve I'll ever need.
I agree, for sure! Even if I could afford to replace mine with something else, I don't believe I would. And if I did, it wouldn't be due to dissatisfaction with the sound; it'd be for strictly practical reasons.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks