Thread: CT5 versus ET5?
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briz Vegaas View Post
Ah, the big questions in life. Yes, some are convinced that the ET5 is better. I am convinced that ET5 and CT5 sound different. When I tried the ET5 in my system I was running the CT5 with a CA200. I think I had the Vivids then but the Naim DAC was without an external power supply and I was yet to work out some important optimisations. I thought the ET5 sounded more hifi but I thought the CT5 did better in the all important midrange. I felt ET5 lacked weight, recordings sounded more like just recordings to me, less real. Maybe it was more detailed, but it didn't feel like an upgrade, just different. Since that time I have swapped to the LP 70s, the Naim DAC has become a formidable source with XPS2 power supply, optimised grounding settings and I learnt to leave it on 24/7 for better sound. Then there is the CT5 transformation that I reported in another thread ( I understand faulty diodes were replaced with better quality ones because the repair guy had them available. it wasn't supposed to change the sound, I'm told my dealer believes it shouldn't sound better, but it's made my CT5 more transparent, better in the bass/ dynamics, more depth separation, more expressive vocals and instruments, particularly acoustic ones, it's just a better sounding pre amp. even weeks later I am finding old recordings that sound easily better than before) Lessons I have taken from this experience. - my pre amp comparison might have been compromised by limitations due my DAC, which was good but is now extremely good, but that is the case with any comparison - any component is only as good as the other gear allows it to be. Know your systems bottleneck. - the CT5 is a great preamp, but mine at least could be improved significantly That is mot to say that the diodes were out of spec before one failed. I agree with Puma, the CT5 pairs beautifully with the LP70s, mine is also sounding excellent. I am completely happy with the system.
Briz, I appreciate you sharing your experience. It helps. Do you know how many hours were on the ET5 you auditioned? How long did you get to keep it?