View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 02:26 PM

My "evolution" with AES/EBU cables began with Wireworld Gold Starlight 5 when digitizing my vinyl collection, which I then used between Esoteric P05/D05 when I (gasp!) exited the vinyl "scene" (can't seem to part with my records, though).

Unfortunately, I was not aware of the opamp (or perhaps other electronics) included in the RCA analog out on the D05 that is not present in the XLR analog out.

By happenstance, a remodel combined with jettisoning of the old-style monstrous entertainment center deseigned for CRT TV and wife's distaste for existing "large" speakers, I combined parts of main and bedroom systems as a "downsize." I was also considering an upgrade to K-01 or K-03 and discovered I should be using XLR analog on D-05 out for best sound (man those Cardas adapters are expensive).

Needless to say the last three years of listening was suboptimal for many reasons, so I did not expect a single culprit once I reconfigured my system.

When I set up the system (which was substantially more revelaing for several reasons) one of my key tracks, Norah Jones' Nightingale (first 10 seconds - SACD), did not sound up to par with some of the other music I was listening to.

For giggles, I swapped the Wireworld for a set of inexpensive Apogee Wide Eye AES/EBU I had ordered years ago but never used. Now I was hearing a real guitar! I must say I was stunned that the Wireworld cables were bettered.

I needed a longer set of AES/EBU cables, so I made an order for Apogee Wide Eye from a website. I got busy at work and relaized they were not shipped for several days, so after emails and a phone call the guy said they had only one apogee cable and could he instead substitute Zaolla cables? Well, after talking for a half hour it turns out his clients are recording studios in Nashville and half of them use Zaolla cables, so I ordered them (they are silver and cost about the same as Apogee).

The Zaolla cables (including word clock) out-performed the Apogees on all of my "key" songs.

I was always in the camp that some of the better-named cables were among the best, but this experience shook my confidence in that theory. On the other side, I mean, come on we are talking 0's and 1's here; how can any cable sound different than the other?

I guess the moral of the story is to get back to basics and choose the one that sounds better. Unfortunately, with burn-in, return policies, expense and time, all you can probably depend on is the expeience of others, which is why this is so lengthy. I have always wanted to try the Zu cables, but have not found the time or opportunity; sounds like a great wire and was used by one of the reviewers of the P05/D05 combo.

Don't be afraid to try a less expensive alternative as long as the professionals use it. Wireworld seems like a popular brand on this website, so you may want to try there first (they seem to be heavily discounted, but I would suggest buying from an authorized dealer to avoid fakes).