View Single Post
Old 09-15-2015, 11:51 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
I removed the mid-bass driver last night - it was tight in the enclosure. Needed to be very careful with the leather surround which I covered with masking tape and used a plastic putty knife to slowly, carefully pry out the old driver. Luckily I had the VT15 Torx bit to remove the screws. Now, to wait for the new driver and hope this was the issue. Sf rep mentioned the Xovers are very robust and high likelihood the driver was the problem/culprit, so I took the bait. If not, I will have a spare driver.
Bravo in removing the driver though I would caution against doing it that way to anyone who might have to do it in the future. There is a much safer way. The leather is a compressable gasket that re-expands to grip the driver in place once the driver is installed. When you remove the driver, the leather will expand to its original thickness and you will recompress it upon installation of the new driver. Due to this, tightening of screws is very different from what is typically done in other speakers.

It is likely the driver. Crossover failures are indeed rare on Auditors. As for the bait (really??), if it is not the driver, I would expect them to take back the replacement and sell you a crossover.

Hope this helps.

Bill