View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 09:20 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
It would be great if you could put in the BJC interconnects and do a double-blind experiment and see if really a difference or just a placebo effect............................be honest Stephen.

Looking forward to the scientific results.

Ron
Don't own Blue Jeans cables. As for a DBT, I'd have to disguise the cables in some manner so that the administrator would not know which cables were which either, which would not be practical to do. As the test would have to be a proportions test, I'd have to identify at least 100 and ideally, 200 participants to conduct the listening with to have a statistically large enough sample N, and that would not be practical to do, either.

As I mentioned, in many cases, probably on at least on 50% of the content, the null hypothesis, Ho, was supported that there were virtually no audibly discernable differences between the two pairs of cables under test at a given time, so I honestly don't feel I was being influenced by expectation bias. To be honest, I did not think that it would be possible for cables from two completely different manufacturers to effectively sound virtually identical for many different recordings for any given 2 pairs of cables under test. I would've thought there would be some differences in "character" or other "qualitative attributes" not related to audio quality, but there weren't. I attribute this to both manufacturers using extremely high-quality and high-purity copper for the conductors, excellent dielectrics and terminations, design embodiments that are very effective for the rejection of noise, and a very high level of construction, such that both cables performed their functional transformations effectively identically.

So, at this point in time, I've made a decision to keep my present set of interconnects; I'm accepting the null and rejecting the Alternate hypothesis. I don't see any reason to spend a lot of money on cables for infrequent situations where there's a 2 or 3% difference in perceivable audio quality for some recordings. What this means is that while I was occasionally able to discern what I might describe as a "statistical difference" between two pairs of cables, effectively, there were no practical differences. And I'm only going to spend money on my system where there are actual, meaningful practical differences, not statistical ones (like the MAJOR improvement I heard with the Shunyata Alpha USB cable.)

The only reason I've bought one pair of Venom was for the connection between my SUT and phono stage. In my audio rack configuration, the AQ DBS bricks make routing the Columbia very cumbersome and the DBS units often pull the SUT out of position. I'm going to put a Venom in there to make the cable routing more manageable so that the AQ cables are not pulling on the SUT all the time.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 05-07-2019 at 09:53 AM.