View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBerryKM13 View Post
To Pio: I see that you have both the 802d2 and the f208's and I wonder which one produces the better sound of the two? Say you have to keep one set which one would you keep and why? Thank you!
ElBerryKM13

The short answer is I prefer the 208's for music.

Not to say I dislike the 802's, like them very much. But there is a bump in the upper midrange / lower treble in the 802's that makes me turn the volume down on certain types of music, especially female vocals like Adele. After a certain volume, her vocals are just piercing on the 802's. And yes, my room is treated and sounds excellent.

And I have had experience in MANY rooms! FWIW - for business, I have had to relocate all over the country since the early 90's - from LA to Miami (several times) from Miami to Dallas, back to Miami and now I live in New Jersey. And (to my ears) the bump in highs I described above has been a characteristic of the 802N, 802D and now the 802D2. Regardless of type of solid state amplifier I used.

From my experience, 802's sound better along the long wall of a room and placed fairly close to the wall to re-inforce the bass. This is how I have them set up in the living room / HT and I really like the way the 802's sound set up that way. Tames the highs too makes the bass come alive better at lower volumes.

When the 802's where my main music speakers, I always felt like I was evaluating them. I would get up and move them closer or farther from the front wall, tweak the toe in, this was almost every listening session. So, I was never truly 100% happy.

With the 208's I just sit back and listen to the music. I have not moved them around, messed with toe-in, nada. It's just a non-issue, they just sound right so I just enjoy the art of music more on them.
The top to bottom balance is pretty near state of the art IMO.

I struggled with this for a while. How could a considerably less expensive pair of speakers even be in the same neighborhood? But after countless hours of listening the Revel's stayed in the music room and the B&W's went to the HT.

I would hate to have to decide on just keeping one pair (just like I can't part with my 805S's or the KEF LS50's - I know, I'm nuts ). Every time I look at the 802's I think, man this is the monitor used in Skywalker Studios, Abbey Road, these are iconic and there is a certain pride I feel about having them in my home.
So, there is a connection there with the B&W's as pieces of art / craftmanship. Like owning a fine watch that might be not be as accurate as your iPhone or Droid, but you love the way it looks and would wear it on your person. However, everytime I truly want to know what time it is 10 out of 10 times I confirm with my phone and not my watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
For most program, they're smooth and extended, with the hard edge all but vanished. I'm listening to Loreena McKennitt as I type this (Book of Secrets), and the speakers are entirely out of the way.

I set the HF control to 0 about two days ago and it's smoother than it was with 1 dB of cut when I first got them.

I've also been using them as a two channel adjunct to my 75" Sony and as a lot of people have remarked, they work just as well in that role. Love these speakers.
Same here. At first the highs were just a bit too much, now they are just perfect!