View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfi87 View Post
I recently purchased one of the last demo pairs of the Amati Futura speakers. Now have to decide on Integrated, AMP/Preamp combo. I finalized my choices to the following:

EAR Yoshino 890 amp (70 class A watts, eventually can maybe add a second 890 for 140 watts)

EAR Yoshino 912 preamp

Primaluna EVO 400 Integrated or Amp/Preamp

Pass Labs X250.8 or XA60.8

Trying to stay with tubes ideally. I had the Olympica 3 with the Primaluna HP Integrated before and really liked that combo. I also had the Elipsa SE speakers with the VAC 200 iq amp, and while I loved the Elipsa speakers, I did not care for the VAC amp (too aggressive for tube amp, solid-state sounding, just not my taste). Looking for any feedback or if any has heard the EAR gear or the latest Primaluna gear.

Hi,

Was looking for an amp to my Amati Futuras several years. Tube options always brought more joy to my ears. To my experience high power does not necessary bring extra to sound quality. Except in some cases it can add some extra micro dynamics, but the difference is not so big to avoid even 30w amplifiers. Amati recommended power starts from 30w.
Cutting long story short I have choosen new Copland CTA 408 integratet tube amp with 75w based on KT 150’tubes. I had a chance to make A/B test in dealers place of PrimaLuna evo 300, Moon 700i and Copland with SF Serafino tradition. You know the winner. PrimaLuna sounded a bit ‘shy’, reserved in dynamic diapason compared to Moon and Copland (note that PrimaLuna is twice cheaper to Copland and many times to Moon). Hope it helps.