View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 05:06 PM

Let me know how it goes with the new fuse, I'd assumed we'd need to replace one inside the chassis also, but maybe a good way to start would be simply with the rear IEC jack fuse.

Long story on the tube situation, abbreviated story and final chapter are that early last year, I bought an EAT, popped it in, liked it right away (as compared to stock CJ) and figured I was done.

Unfortunately it failed in pretty short order (noise)

Attempts to get a replacement meant waiting about 6 months.

In the mean time, I'm sitting there with the preamp top sitting loose, making it easy to play with tubes a bit more. I tried a few low cost ones that were all quite good. I'm trying to remember for sure, but I had two different $200ish NOS tubes that each failed quickly. I had a gold lion that was good, Westinghouse that was very good.

Having gotten sick of messing around I'd have probably just left the GL or WHouse in.

When the EAT did finally arrive, I popped it back in and that was that. I think overall it's the best. I'd hate to have to bet on the difference between it and other tubes. I think it would be hard to find something demonstrably "better". At this level, another great tube might sound a bit different, but I think opinions would vary on picking one as better.

If someone had a specific characteristic they were looking for, that might be one reason to look elsewhere.