View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Sounds like a great performer but at $24k, that is one hefty price tag. There is nothing exotic or extraordinary about the design, just a very generous profit margin at the end users expense Stephen? I can almost understand a product like the Ayre KX-R being $18k, if you glance under the hood, it makes sense, I suspect glancing under the hood of the GAT2 will not impress at all for the money? I could be wrong but I suspect this is just a statement piece to line the pockets of CJ. Surely there is nothing that amounts to any technology or expense that rivals the price of a brand new Toyota Camry. A great tube preamp will sound great but it doesn't have to cost $24k in my mind without offering some serious technology behind the price tag. There is nothing inside the GAT2 that would convince me of it.

Actually Serge I think that you may well be very impressed by a nudie of the Gat. The quality of construction and the parts are very impressive.
Anyway, what makes the price looking "normal" is mostly its sound. I have seen quite a few of KX-R, C1000, ARC REF, Pass, Lamm, Nagra preamps for sale.
Try to find a used GAT for sale : they do not appear often.
This preamp is spectacular. I personally have owned like you quite a few high end preamps. The GAT beats them all.
I am happy I got mine at a used and friendly price.