View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 07:25 PM

I think for many of us audiophiles, trying out vinyl is like starting a romance. The conditions have to be just right, you need to choose the right partner, be in the right state of mind, etc. I got lucky and fell in love, back in 2007. I saw a SOTA Star in Koa wood on consignment, literally iridescent in the waning sunlight, and it never got out of my head till I went back a week later (on my birthday) and bought that SOTA plus 3 records (that was all I had back then!!). Of course you have to choose more than just a table, and here was my starter kit:

SOTA Star III with Fidelity Research FR64fx arm
Benz Micro Glider L2
Dynavector P75 phono stage

The sound blew me away. It absolutely trashed my Meridian G08 CD player at a similar total $ outlay. I've been hooked ever since, and have accumulated a fairly large vinyl collection and a disturbing amount of expensive analog gear. My main system has not had a digital source hooked up for almost 10 years! I'm grateful to the SOTA & Fidelity Research for being an amazing 1st partner - and still have her today The SOTA's are great first partners because (besides sounding great) their built in suspension almost eliminates the need to worry about isolation (which can be a HUGE issue for many turntables). I'm also very happy I went for a quality low output MC cartridge right off the bat ($800 on a cartridge seemed a bit excessive to me at first) rather than risk disappointment with a lesser result.

If you're buying a lot of new vinyl reissues, I have found many to be extremely disappointing in sound quality. Digging in bins of vintage records, you can find gold. And yes, vinyl has an inherently higher noise floor even with fancy cleaners and all that. Plus the occasional pop, tick, and scratch. Of course it can be exacerbated by poor setup or gear matches, so it's always worth having an expert double-check everything until you get more experience. I'd enjoyed a friend's vinyl setup before I got into it myself, so I knew the vinyl noise wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Last edited by mulveling; 11-10-2019 at 07:42 PM.