View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I'd let the NR-V10 burn in for a week or so before deciding on its final sonic attributes. The qualities you describe sound a lot like a brand-new power cord to me. Just use to power a DAC or something similar you can leave on continually and having music streamed through it.
It could be that it needs a little more burn-in time. However, I’ve owned and auditioned many power cords over the years and my ears may not be as sensitive as others to burn-in; even with Shunyata. While I’ve noticed improvements as a power cord settles in, in demoing them with The Cable Company’s lending library over the years, my first impressions of a particular power cord seldom has changed as it settles in. Either I like it or I don’t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumhorn View Post
It's possible that that particular V10NR was defective. Since it sounds like you are using multiple V10NRs in other parts of the system, & don't seem to be unhappy with those, you might try testing one of them on your preamp to see how it sounds. Four(?) years ago I purchased 2 Venom Defender units. When one didn't sound right, I ended up sending it back to Shunyata, and sure enough, it was defective. The replacement was fine. Even in best companies, occasional defects get missed. (Many years ago, I received a defective Ayre SACD player...)

Although the more expensive (current) Shunyata models will of course sound better than the Venom line, I have not seen anyone else describe what you are hearing with the V10NR, so it might be worth the experiment...
That’s a good idea and I put a another one to the amp just now.

As for the sound, my thought is that the V10NR at the amp or preamp position in my home theater might be just emphasising different aspects of the sound more than another model, or especially, a different brand. I was previously using an older discontinued $900 Synergistic Research Element Tungsten power cord where the V10 resides now which was the best sounding power cord in that position and I even preferred it over the Sigma in that position, believe it or not. The Achilles heal of some Synergistic power cords is its female IEC end which was small and would not make good contact with my Anthem gear in my HT system and the Ayre DAC in my stereo. I finally had enough and decided to replace it due to the loose fitting IEC.

That being said, the 4K Dolby Atmos UHD HDR movie, Bohemian Rhapsody never sounded better than last night with the V10s in the mix. Again, it just might be with lessor source material that the Venom may be revealing more or emphasising the upper midrange a little more than what I have been used to, but this is just a guess.

Last edited by RLF; 10-20-2019 at 06:30 PM.