View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 10:54 PM

Default Bryston BDP-2 vs Chromecast Audio performance gap

Hi there,

I acquired a Bryston BDA-3 last week which I quickly integrated in my audio setup. Obviously and as expected, the sound is so much more detailed accurate as I made a giant leap in term of source components. The next upgrade I am planning is to purchase a Bryston BDP-2, or 3 depending on budget. My question is how realistically speaking the difference will be in regard to sound quality compared to a humble Chromecast Audio? Please don't laugh, I am just curious about what to expect. I will give you the details of my current setup so that it gives you an idea as to where I started.

Yamaha CA-1000 integrated amplifier (this thing is a beauty), fully restored and professionnally modified to accept standard IEC plugs. I currently use a XLO Ultra X-10 power cable (possible upgrade Anaconda CX or Alpha HC).
Bryston BDA-3 with a Shunyata Black Mamba HC/CX
Totem Mani-2 Signature speakers with 16 ga speaker wires (another project on the grill... don't worry)
For streaming purposes, I am using a Chromecast Audio with the optical cable from Google in the Opto input of the DAC
Kimber Kable Hero interconnects between the amplifier and the DAC.
ALAC ripped files from my CD collection (may re-rip to FLAC for the BDP)
Streaming to CCA using Plex software.

Okay, I started slowly back in last September as I have been away from audio since I was busy with a major home renovation for the last 2 years. I have stripped the basement bare to the concrete walls and redone everything. Pictures to come. For this reason, I sold all my McIntosh gear to finance this project telling myseld I would come back later and trying something else.

So now that you have an idea, what do you think the BDP will bring? I plan to install a 2TB SSD and using roon. This is my first foray in digital audio since before I had a MCD-301 CDP (old school) as source.

As side modifications for my amplifier, next week I am going to change all 8 fuses for audio grade fuses to give it some more life. Since this is a vintage amplifier from 1974 (as old as me), there are no banana binding posts at the back, instead it has those clunky spring clips. My tech will take care of that as he will modify the back of the amplier to accomodate quality binding posts. This way, I will be able to use my Kimber Kable KS-3033 that I kept from my previous setup.

Eventually, the CA-1000 will end up in the living room upstairs as the upgrade bug strike again but for now I must admit that I am quite surprised as to how good it sounds.

Thanks for reading and your comments.

Serge