View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 01:12 AM

Bob, I have listened to the yo-yo ma PBS CD about twice. It is extremely well recorded so I listened to it at relatively high volume. Interestingly Traveling Music (cut 2) was from a dynamic contrast standpoint not very demanding, although I enjoyed it very much. It built to a crescendo but there was no bass instrument. Xylophone like instrument had good reverb. There was a counterpoint to it left mid channel in the distance. Reed instrument was nice and so was percussion on the right. Volume set at 47-48 on D1100 which is fairly loud. All XVX, essentially no Thor. Fun to listen to but nothing very system demanding at all. About 12-15 watts from XVX no more than 1.2 from Thor.

However, the rest of the CD was a different story. To my ears cut 6 "People and Fighters Unite" was similar to cut 2 but much more dynamically demanding. The "xylophone" strikes were much sharper/harder from the outset and the bass shook the floor surprisingly hard from the outset and all the way through. Takes a lot of bass to this to my floor. Percussion was very impressive. Thor was at 60 watts XVX at 100 watts. That's significant.

Remainder of CD was simply excellent. Bass tremendous. Strings like you are there in their room. Percussion "perfect". XVX up to 60-80 watts and Thor at least 60 watts on occasion. Fairly impressive and means a lot of bass, brother. Cut 5 "The Wounded Soldier Reprieve" is particularly impressive. Whatever that instrument is (sounded like a clarinet) will challenge your mid, I strongly suspect.

The mood was somber, very sad, agonizing, without joy. Reminded me of Civil War music but very beautiful. I highly recommend this CD. Would be interested in others take on it.

It is truly amazing how well the XVX sounds in my meager room on my equipment. I would encourage anyone if they can possibly afford it to buy this speaker. It will not disappoint. It seems to be a characteristic of Wilsons these days to be eager to please. Far from being a lab instrument, the XVX is like the Alexx, eager to please and wants to play all types of music. It would probably sound good under most any circumstances. It is the opposite of a high strung, finicky, difficult, loudspeaker. It's hard to comprehend how a speaker that has this type resolution and detail totally avoids being ruthlessly revealing, but the XVX really does. It is a pleasure/marvel to listen to on my equipment.

Finally, I want to mention the XVX tweeter. It settles the question about the new Wilson treble. When you listen to it you would swear you were listening to a wonderful metal dome but without any trace of the hardness or ringing. The XVX tweeter has all the positives of the old Ti tweeter but with none of the drawbacks. I thought the Alexx had a wonderful treble but the Alexx could not manage this. It is simply the best treble I have ever heard.

Final final thought, aren't bonds wonderful!!

Charles

Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house

Last edited by Charles; 03-05-2020 at 03:50 AM.