View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 01:58 AM

Tim, even though I have spent lots of money at Acoustic Sounds, I am now trying to avoid buying reissues. My copies of the Abravanel discs are all original Vanguard. I haven’t heard any reissues. You can usually find them reasonably priced in NM condition at Discogs or eBay. All 9 symphonies are available on vinyl.

A year or so ago, I started looking for the original issues of many of my reissue discs. I’m not saying that reissues are bad / some are quite good; only that the originals are usually better (if they are not too pricey). Many of the TAS recommended reissues are great.

FWIW, I don’t recommend Slatkin’s Titan on Telarc. I only included it because it is in the TAS listing. I find it very two dimensional and uninvolving. Sorry.

I should probably comment here that my system is all analog, all tubes, and I have SET amps and horn speakers. This should be factored in when deciding if my advice applies to others.

Other records on the TAS list (post #169) that I cannot recommend because I don’t have them include:

Mahler: Symphony No. 3/Mehta. Decca/Super Analogue KIJC 9014

Mahler: The Mahler Project/Tilson Thomas, San Francisco Symphony. SFS Media 0040 (I have not been able to find these in vinyl (CDs are available))

Mahler: Symphony No. 1/Walter CBS/Sony 20 AC 1830

Mahler: Symphony No. 4/Klemperer. EMI ASD 2799 (I have the EMI/Testament reissue SAX 2441 which is excellent.)

I have all the others and do recommend them.
Don