View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
It would take someone of my advancing age to remember, but Magneplanar (Magnepan) speakers were originally designed especially to work with Audio Research tubed equipment.

I don't remember the details but recall that Jim Winey, the inventor or Magneplanar speakers and the long-time owner of Magnepan, and William Z. Johnson, the founder/head of Audio Research had some sort of interrelationship, or maybe a business relationship and worked closely together in the design of their respective products.

At any rate, Magnepan speakers and tubed electronics have a long history, dating back at least to the mid 70's.

Magneplanar Tympani (and later versions of Magnepan) speakers and Audio Research tubed amps were, and are a match made in heaven.
The original Magnepans from the 70's had a much more benign impedance load than the current ones with the ribbon tweeters. And the current product really needs a lot of power to "light up." I could see using some Magnepans with the REF 210's, but anything smaller just doesn't get the job done, and I've had the chance to audition current Magnepans with a lot of tube amplifiers. If all you listen to is chamber music or solo vocalists, great. But anything with dynamics, forget it.