View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
I have a Triton V2 and Typhon which I am about to upgrade to a Triton V3 and Typhon QR, your comment re the large difference with the Sigma HC cable to the Sigma NR interests me greatly as I have a mixture of Sigma Digital, Analog and HC's in my system.

Can you please expand on your findings with the differences between the older Sigma HC's and the new Sigma NR's. The upgrade cost is significant and I am trying to get a handle on where my money is best spent.

Thank you.
Sure. The Sigma NR is the technically better and more neutral cable in my system. I had a 4 meter Shunyata Sigma HC providing power to my Triton V3 which also has a Typhon attached to it. This distributes power to my front end components, only.

When I initially replaced the Sigma HC with the Sigma NR, the first things I noticed were changes in tonal weight and reduction of noise in the lower mids through the midrange. The Sigma NR is nowhere near as warm or as full in the lows through the lower mids. The Sigma HC is euphonic by comparison, which ironically, was why I liked it in comparison to the Anaconda Ztron (which I auditioned, but never owned) which preceded it. When I heard the Sigma HC, I said to myself, "Shunyata made a more realistic sounding power cable in comparison to the bass-shy Anaconda."

But the Sigma NR, in back to back comparisons with the Sigma HC showed me that the Sigma HC's warmth was not neutral and instead, compromised resolution. The detail evident with the Sigma NR made that clear beyond doubt. Don't get me wrong, I missed the warmth, initially, but I'm happy with the Sigma NR.

While I can't speak precisely to ultimate low end extension between the Sigma HC and Sigma NR, I'm pretty sure the Sigma NR goes at least as low, and with better resolution - essentially cleaner sounding.

I haven't mentioned the high frequencies, because they didn't particularly stand out to me with either Sigma version. I thought they were good with both, but some power cable upgrades I've made recently lead me to think the high frequencies in the Sigma NR are also cleaner and better defined.

As far as upgrade cost is concerned, I think one can justify upgrading if one considers putting the money from the sale of a Sigma HC toward the purchase of the Sigma NR. If I'm not mistaken, the Sigma NR, is actually slightly less expensive than the Sigma HC was. Alternately, the Sigma HC might sound great plugged into a Sigma NR powered Triton, especially on a component that could benefit from a warmer sounding power cable.

I think the Triton, Typhon, and Shunyata NR provide a neutral, noise-free, and clear sounding foundation for everything that one plugs into it. I'm interested to find out what the new Typhon QR adds to that foundation.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables