View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 08:55 PM

Default Audeze LCD-4 mini-review

Audeze LCD-4
Mini-review and first impressions.

I started auditioning headphones this summer on a casual basis. I was pretty surprised by the very large differences in tonality and dynamics I was hearing.

At RMAF 2017 I listened to a lot of headphones and eliminated most of them due to a combination of fit, finish, and overall tonality. Two ‘phones seemed to rise above the rest – the Focal Utopia and the Audeze LCD-4. They both sounded awesome – great tonality and dynamics. I felt the Audeze had slightly better bass performance, and the Focal edged out the Audeze in high frequency definition. These were very slight differences. At this performance level there are no wrong choices. I felt the Audeze would match my sonic preferences to a ‘T’. So I bought a pair from Ivan. They arrived in well protected in their "Pelican-like" road case.

I’ve had these phones running continuously for several weeks and their sound is not changing anymore. So it’s time for a mini-review.

Vocals – these headphones really shine on vocals. Vocals are generally warm and luscious sounding. Not a trace of sibilance or harshness. I’m listening to Ray Charles and Norah Jones on “Genius Loves Company” as I write this. Spectacular vocal rendition.

Bass – bass fundamentals just grab me with these ‘phones. They reproduce low level hall ambiance and space really well. The organ in Camille St. Saiens 3rd Symphony (Telarc) is beautifully rendered – it’s profound. It doesn’t overwhelm the orchestra at all – it is just there in the right measure.

Highs – this is where, if anything, I would say these cans are just slightly recessed above the vocal range. This actually suits my preferences perfectly. I would compare it to a well engineered metal tweeter vs. a well engineered silk dome like the Dynaudio Esotar. Some will prefer the metal tweeter – give me an Esotar any day.

Comfort – despite their weight, I can wear these for hours without discomfort or fatigue. The wide headband spreads the weight over a large area. The earpads are soft to the hand and have a very luxurious feel.

Headphone listening at this level is revelatory for me. I hear so much detail and ambience that I am continually discovering new things while listening recordings I thought I knew.

While I still prefer listening to my Amati Futura’s, I find that I’m spending more and more time with the Audeze LCD-4’s.

Associated Equipment – McIntosh C1100 preamplifier, Benchmark DAC3 HGC, MS Surface Pro 3 running JRiver MC 21.

Highly recommended. A true Class A audiophile component.

Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v