Thread: Magico Q1 ...
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thimios View Post
Spend some time recently in a European dealer hearing the Q1 driven by Dart 108/18 NS combination. CD source was a Metronome Calista while cabling was by Transparent Reference.

All in all very nice sound, super transparent and beautiful in timbre.

Caveats:
1. The music needed to be played at exactly the optimal volume level. One click down and the speakers would not come alive while one click up from the optimal and the sound became ear-piercing.
2. Very good quality CD recordings where reproduced marvelously. However the early 50s & 60s jazz records were very difficult to listen to. St. Thomas from the excellent Saxophone Colossus/S. Rollins album was practically unlistenable.
3. Bass quality again varied pretty much with recording.
4. In loud passages the eyes of the Dart 108 blinked (not once but a number of times correlated with excess loudness)

My take is that both Dart & Magico Q1 are routhlessly revealing, but in my view the Dart does not represent the optimal amplifier for the Q1s. I know that a lot of members here like the combination but for my tastes Q1s should be driven by a more forgiving amplifier, like Vitus/ Burmester etc.
Thimios,

Very interesting.

Has your dealer received a pair of S1s yet?

Looking forward to some comments comparing the S1s vs. Q1s.