View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 07:55 PM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Mini T Active – Customer Feedback

Hi James,

I've now had my Active Mini-T's running for about 5 days and am very happy with their superb sound! I also changed from a BP26 to a BP17cubed at the same time because I didn't have the patience to stage them in separately, so can't definitively attribute specific improvements to one change or the other... but there are definitely many improvements.

My previous setup was BP26 - 7B3 - Mini-T Passive.

The new setup is BP17C - BAX1 - 7B3/2.5B3 - Mini-T-Active

I was quite pleased with my passive Mini-T's but knew from experience that the move to active would be a major change and it was:

• Soundstage is more 3D, more depth and layers
• Attacks and percussion are crisper
• Articulation of individual notes is clearer
• The music overall is clearer, a veil has been lifted!

Late night/very low volume listening has been good since moving to Mini-T's a year ago but it is now even better. At my normal volumes (still comparatively low due to small apartment constraints) the bass seems to have about the same low extension but is clearer and, for example, I heard a very clear bass line in an old recording that I'd never noticed before. Every instrument seems more clearly defined on the soundstage and sounds more distinct compared to my passive system. Marimbas and xylophones seem to have more "glow" as do tablas. Orchestral works sound richer and more "full-bodied" even though the passive Mini-T's sounded great too.

Although I'm sure the BP17C should be getting some of the credit, there is one very welcome improvement that it clearly offers: the slower response on the motorized volume control - important to me in adjusting levels in my limited volume range.

Overall, I'm very pleased. Thank you to you and the team for deciding to offer an active version of the already-great Mini-T's!

Norm