View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplexico View Post

To my ears, switching out the Shindo Cortese for the Shindo GM 70s was a much more pronounced change than swapping out the Masseto for the Vosne. As someone mentioned in one of the other threads here, the GM 70s really seem to put you on stage with the musicians. Vicerally they have an impact and presence that made switching to the Cortese make everything sound really "small", almost as if the entire sound stage had collapsed. Hard to explain the effect, because the Cortese setup sounded great, really great. But man, those GM 70s really do have a striking impact, things just seem wider and bigger with more propulsion. And this is not only at loud volume levels because I also lowered the volume to more conversational levels.

All in all it was a great day, I am grateful for the wonderful hospitality, and now I am trying to determine which path to follow. I do think if I had only been interested in the Vosne Romanee I would have a more in depth analysis of them versus the Masseto, as it was we had a lot of ground to cover that day. Stay tuned.

Barr
Sounds like you had a blast Barr! The 2x the power of the GM70 SET over the Cortese, even with speakers like the O/96 which are what, 96dB efficient and 10 ohm nominal, surely helps the presentation, soundstage and scale of sound. Matt's room is pretty large, isn't it? That may also explain why the 20w over 10w plays a pretty big role here. My room is 13x21x9 and with the Tannoy 96dB efficient Canterbury speakers the Cortese sounds effortless but I would imagine it would be a different story in a much bigger room. So when are you getting the GM70's?