View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 09:21 AM

Here are some pairings and suggestions with my rationale for each.

High end tube system:
C 1100 Preamp and 2 x MC 2301 300W monoblocks. In my opinion this is McIntosh's best sounding, most capable setup. Full disclosure I'm prejudiced because I own these pieces. Just fantastic; clean, fast, ultra quiet. There is something special about these pieces that sets them apart.

Hybrid tube/solid state, smaller footprint:
C1100 and MC 452 power amp make a great combination. I have a friend running this pair and it is an awesome setup. Lots of power, effortless presentation throughout the audio range.

Hybrid tube/solid state, two box solution:
C 2600 and MC 452 - this pairs McIntosh's single box tube preamp with a great power amp - this would be a very good match for your speakers. You also get a very good DAC in the mix.

The MC 452 is still on the website, but will be eventually replaced by the MC 462.

Single box solution:
MA 9000. Make no mistake this is a world class integrated amplifier with gobs of power, a great phono section, and plenty of flexibility for any setup. Saves space while giving you great all solid state sound.

Other more idiosyncratic choices:
Any McIntosh preamp paired with the MC 275 VI. The MC 275VI has a sound of its own. It is far from neutral but still very pleasing - except if your listening habits lean towards large scale classical works, where it falls apart on loud, complex passages. I own a C2300 (not on the list, out of production) and an MC 275V and they make a great combo, super vocals, not fatiguing at all, like wearing a pair of your most comfortable blue jeans.

Not on my list, yet:

70th Anniversary system - C 70 and MC 2152. Idiosyncratic appearance, no meters, power amp is a new concept, not yet reviewed. A slight departure from the classic McIntosh look, I like the overall setup and appearance. Too new for me to recommend, but some luck folks here have purchased the set so we'll get some good feedback soon.

MA 252 - several people have had hum issues with their MA 252's - very unusual for a McIntosh amplifier and enough for me to stay away, at least for now.

While there are other power amp possibilities, stick with the Quad Balanced models. They represent McIntosh's best engineering and most advanced power amp circuitry to date:
MC 1.25 kW
MC 2301
MC 611
MC 601
MC 462
MC 452
MC 301

Happy hunting!
Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v

Last edited by W9TR; 02-01-2019 at 09:23 AM.