View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 02:23 PM
Life is beautiful

Default Our visit to Jacques (aka Jem 666) and Liesbeth

Last Saturday, on our way to Meta's parents, we spent a couple of hours with these very good hosts.
It took us a long time to meet.
After all, we're 3 AA'ers in a small country.
Meta and I are a member since early 2011, and I think Jacques since the beginning of AA.

We felt really welcome.
There was a delicious smurf tart waiting for us - seems that the people from that region, Limburg, eat lots of those, the reason why they sing our language so beautifully!

We only had 2 hours, so no time to hear a lot of music.
Jacques has a wonderful system, with in the exact middle, proudly, 4 pieces of McIntosh (with the fantastic MCD1000/MDA1000 combo) and his new Analog Domain poweramp.
On the sides: his turntable on the left, and his Oppo, Weiss DAC, and digital TV box on the right.
Dominating above the system: a huge Sony TV (75").
And then the PMC speakers!
They're tall, almost as tall as my wife (7 feet!)
Their placement is not ideal, Jacques is looking at optimizing his room again, after the recent acquisition of the impressive flatscreen, that has the disadvantage of reflecting the sound.
But I could clearly appreciate what the system is capable of, and that is substantial.
I think he must keep his components and invest in his room.
We listened to some well known tunes (like 'Graceland' from Paul Simon, Gwen Stefani), and then Jacques let the room shake with his techno beats.
We ended with the Sony TV. I think 4K Ultra HD Blu-rays will be spectacular here.

All in all, a very nice encounter, to be continued at our place.
Thank you Liesbeth and Jacques!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables