View Single Post
Old 04-06-2024, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Carl, your photography is stunning. It was your photography that inspired me to purchase a new phone with a much better camera. When you say "no plans...right now" your new vinyl toys are a pleasant present diversion. Vinyl is a great hobby within the high-end. My father owned Garrard changers, Stanton, Pickering, Sure-V-15, Grado arm, turntable, and cartridge, Collaro changers, TD-124 with Grado arm. I have had my hands on all the originals. I think the TD-124 with the Grado arm was the best. The Stanton cartridge arm and turntable was excellent. The Grado turntable was very slow coming to speed but excellent. However, this is nostalgia for me. Having experienced this gear first hand for years as a kid, I guess it's fun for you all who never did, but nothing I would want to return to or listen to. But I enjoy all the stories and enthusiasm.

Best

Charles
Thank you Charles! I'm so glad that you like them. Since I was a teenager photography has been a big hobby of mine as well. I have some photographers that inspires me. I love to go to photo exhibitions to get inspired.

One part of the enjoyment for me to write in forums like this is to take interesting pictures of "dull looking" components.(They often are). Hifi is a way to listen to music. Music is a way of experience art. Therefore Hifi and what we feel and think about it is important. The experience of music reproduced through HiFi is a very subjective matter. Therefore I think the objective way of talking about hifi has to be balanced with commitment and emotions.
Music is all about emotions. Therefore I think pictures can help the written word to have more meaning and make more sense.

Trying to make the picture of HiFi-units interesting and interesting to look at is great fun and a kreativ challenge. My intention is not to just reproduce how they look in real life. The picture in it selfe is the goal. I want to make the products to look intriguing in the pictures even if they don't look that way in real life. Composition and depth of field are powerful tools in this process.
My intention is the opposite of a product picture at a web site.
I want the picture to have a good feeling rather than to se every aspect of the product.
How I'm reaching that goal is another matter. As I'm an amateur photographer I can clearly see the reasons for improvement. But it's fun.

Charles! Since many years on the top of my list, Thorens TD124 was the one. The last 3 years I have hade som help from fiends to look for an old turntable in perfect condition. Garrard Lenco EMT... It could have been a TD124 as well but a beautiful looking, very carefully optimized and rebuilt Garrard 401 captured my heart in that race.
It's not like my Brinkmann Balance with Lyra atlas Lambda. 401 is another kind of music experience. Very well worth experiencing.

Last edited by Apexorca; 04-06-2024 at 05:16 PM.