View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 06:00 PM

Excellent choice. The bass may be the first thing you notice, but the superb Revel beryllium tweeter and smooth crossover will be the thing that will keep you coming back. The smart guys (other owners) on this forum said that to me when I first got mine and they were spot on.

To add to Rex's comments, it's rare for the place where your preferred imaging occurs to be coincident with best (or most) bass response. That's why, if you get serious about optimizing sound, some sort of treatment becomes the next important step. I've spent a lot of time playing with my room and even though Toole (who I admire greatly) suggests that a somewhat live room is his preference, it's entertaining to observe that Voecks prefers a treated and somewhat damped room. Their opinions diverge on this matter. I found that I sided with Voecks but only discovered that after I treated my room, which of course makes sense if you think about it. That is, there's no way to hear what the difference is until you actually add treatment.

My room is set up more or less as live end dead end and I get both reasonably tight bass and wall to wall imaging, although I also have a couple of subs to make things even more complicated.

In any case, room treatment is usually worth the trouble if you can manage it without discord especially with speakers as resolving and accurate as the Salon series are. Floyd Toole has a big room, listens to classical and also prefers to hear a bit of his room. Voecks has a taste for different program. That might play into it as well but my point is that a wide dispersion, flat power response device is almost always at an advantage in our small rooms at home yet ridding oneself of the first reflections and doing a little treatment for bass is still almost always a plus in home systems, especially with speakers like the Studios.

Last edited by Pampero; 08-17-2017 at 06:10 PM.