View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 11:40 AM
Go Dawgs

Serge is pretty spot on with those distances. I thought I'd chime in here since I used to design theaters back in my former days....as far as the projectors go, without getting too detailed, you can break them up into roughly 3 go to brands these days.

1. JVC - known to have the best contrast. JVCs are the go to projectors if you have total or almost total light control since they tend to be slightly less bright than comparable models in other brands. Black levels and shadow details are second to none. Their (now former) 4K shift models can get you very very close to a native 4K projector if it's dialed in properly. The best pure "cinema" projectors. Contrast ratios and natural colors are vivid and look fantastic. Films on a calibrated JVC is the best home theater experience there is.

2. Sony - a close second to the JVCs, not quite the level of shadow detail and blackest blacks but pretty close, tend to be a tad more expensive than the comparable JVCs. Most reviewers see a bit better detail and sharpness in their pictures and their "motion flow" works and looks a bit better than the JVCs version. Colors and contrast are close but not quite up to the JVC level.

3. Epson - Best bang for the buck, comparable models cheaper than the Sonys and JVCs. They tend to have a brighter picture so they seem to work better in more typical family room settings where you don't have total light control. Epsons seem to do nothing wrong but nothing as good as the Sonys and JVCs. If I was designing some type of man cave/room with pool tables etc in a basement with outside windows/lights, using it for viewing sports primarily I may go with an Epson. Have excellent customer service.

Anyone interested in projectors and specifications should look no further than projector central's projector calculator page. It's very detailed and can give you all the throw distances, seating distances and any other thing you need for your particular model:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...ulator-pro.cfm

I've owned 2 Epson, a Panasonic and the JVCs. I've been a JVC owner for the last 9 years and use mine primarily for movies on a cinemascope 2.35:1 screen and it's spectacular.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3