Thread: Marten Django
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbyhkr View Post
Well, now that makes sense and brings everything into focus. The Heritage line stays, but gets upgraded drivers and the Django looks like it will be the the top dog in a line to be fleshed out later. That makes the comparative pricing understandable and I would expect the other models in the Django line to have a similar design aesthetic as the XL. Personally, I still think that the look of the 2 lines is so close that, side by side, the higher cost Heritage models don't stand out. My gut feeling is that if the XL's sound really is that good, especially when compared to the Getz 2 and Bird 2, I could see it cannibalizing sales of the latter 2. That's good for consumers as it would allow them to get better sound at a lower entry point but not necessarily good for Marten - unless the DJango line takes off and really sells in volume way beyond what they've done before with the Heritage.
Your "unless" point is likely what's happeniing. Looks like intro of Django has been most successful in history of Marten according to the company, and while the revenue and profit per speaker in the Heritage line (Miles/Bird/Getz) is higher than in Django, if they can make it up in volume (which it sounds like they are doing), they will do that trade every day. Plus the more accessible the product in terms of price point, the more likely they will attract new customers, and not necessarily cannibalize from their higher priced models.