View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 07:08 AM

Just to round-up the topic, I have ended up with a pair of (NOS) GPA-604-H II drivers for which I have built a pair of model 620 cabinets (9 cubic feet). The crossovers are from Herr Werner Jagusch. Sound is pretty impressive.

And I have bought a quad of 6P14P(-EV = milspec?) russian tubes to try, as per Formerly YB-2 suggestion. Still on Telefunkens at this moment.

With my previous loudspeakers (Unison Research Max-1 rated at 94db/1W/1m) I had to have the Montille volume all the way up to maximum in order to make them sing (the Aurieges' pot was set at around 11-12 o'clock). Now with my much more senzitive speakers I have never past the 1-2 o'clock position on my Montille. But last night I have set the Montille's pot's to max (while no music was playing) and found a good amount of hum/brum on both speakers. I have tried again with the Aurieges turned off, but the hum/brum was still in place. Then I have disconnected the IC from Montille and the noise disappeared. Tried about 3 pairs of IC's and found the one with the least hum/brum to be an unshielded paid made from 16GA Duelund hookup wire.
Any idea why I am getting this hum/brum into the speakers, and why is it louder with shielded IC's?

Last edited by catacore; 01-21-2019 at 07:11 AM.