View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 08:58 AM

Now let's discuss the minterm. I will do it by using threonine as an example. There's nothing special about threonine. I pulled it out of the hat. I remember when I was in geometry class in the 10th grade, my teacher said about proof: "You either get it or you don't." This really scared me because I wondered, "Would I get it?"

Boolean algebra is like this. You either get it or you don't. For me its ridiculously easy but it may not be that way for you.

Here are some facts about it:

Any Boolean function can be expressed as a Truth Table. A Truth Table is a powerful thing.

Any Boolean function can be expressed as a sum of minterms, i.e. as a minterm sum.

Using the Truth Table I can write any Boolean function as a minterm sum and then simplify the minterm sum to form my desired function.

The outputs of any digital network are Boolean functions.

I am using this understanding to use the DNA Code as it exists in nature to express each amino acid as a minterm sum that is based on the codons nature has assigned to it. These codons cannot change but the minterm sum can change based on the assignment of bits to the molecules A, G, C, U. Discovering the optimum sum of minterms for each amino acid is a devilishly complex math problem. No human being could by hand remotely solve it in a lifetime.

So now specifically let's look at threonine:

As mentioned you will frequently see in biochem texts this type expression:

Thr = ACU, ACC, ACA, ACG where these triplets are the codons of the DNA Code asigned to the amino acid threonine. This is really as far as the biochem text can go. It can't write the true Boolean expression because it doesn't recognize the Code as Boolean. Let me say this expression thr = ACU, ACC, ACA, ACG is crude.

The true expression is much more elegant:

Thr = ACU + ACC + ACA + ACG where "+" is the logical sum operator of the Boolean set is much more elegant and is the correct way to write the Code.

I have to adjourn. Wife has Dr.'s appointment.

Last edited by Charles; 07-15-2020 at 09:25 AM.