View Single Post
Old 10-24-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
New AQ speaker wires have been introduced, they call it the "Mythical Series". Apparently, Thunderbird, Firebird, and Dragon.

Looks similar externally to the Tree Series, but the internals look different. My guess is more shielding, the new DBS 72v unit, but looks to be less complicated in terms of a wire geometry. Does not appear to have differing gauge wires, looks to be a double star quad geometry, which makes me wonder why they chose this geometry when their Tree series is a Counterspiral geometry.... their Flat Rock series is double star quad, which is lower than the Tree.

I wonder if it's more hype than substance.

Either way, I ain't moving from my Tree series WEL.
Somehow with this new series of cable the impedance of the cable becomes essentially zero. AQ doesn't say how this is possible. I have on order a 3 meter Redwood (37.5% silver) for my Thor. I could have chosen a Firebird but I feel more comfortable with the Redwood. It's an extremely fine copper/silver cable whose geometry matches my Wel Sig to my Alexx. Seemed more logical to match the geometry than to go with the latest cable. I suspect the Tree Series will be discontinued in the near future. Doesn't bother me. Redwood is a fantastic cable, extremely well built and 9 gauge. In absolute terms your not ever going to get much better than a Redwood including my Wel Sig in my opinion.

Also ordered 7 meter Wolf (10% silver) balanced IC for Thor and 3 meter HC Hurricane. All KK copper will with installation finally be out of system. Looking forward to top line all AQ system. AQ says solid silver cable overkill for sub woofer like Thor. Not necessary as it operates below 30 Hz. If your sub is extending into upper bass and low midrange you might want to consider a Firebird bass cable as opposed to Redwood. I'm going with Redwood. But the Wild Dog has been discontinued. Only Wolf available. I'll post a few pics of the installation. My KK copper cables and IC's and power cord were over 12 years old. My MIT power conditioners were 20 years old. I certainly don't plan on replacing my new Wel's or Redwood or Wolf for many many years if ever. Or my Dragon or Hurricane power cords, or my Niagara's.

Last edited by Charles; 10-25-2018 at 05:08 AM.