Thread: Mc Trade Up
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-E View Post
I have to disagree. I contacted my authorized McIntosh dealer (as directed) to discuss trading my C200 in on a C1100. The C200 is on McIntosh’s list of approved trade-ins. The dealer said, “yes, original MSRP was $7100 so I would receive a trade-in value of $5325.” I explained that during the last trade-up program there were certain conditions that made trading it for other Mac gear impossible. The dealer said that in the past Mac received several complaints from customers over the fine print (seen only by dealers) and this time there would be none of that.

Later he called back to say that he had been discussing my trade with McIntosh for quite a while and unfortunately I could not trade the C200 in on a C1100. He said I would need to buy more expensive gear but could not say how much more.

When I discussed this trade with another dealer last time I was told the original MSRP was $7800 and the 75% trade value was $5850. The catch at that time was that the new item had to have an MSRP of at least the trade-in’s original MSRP ($7800) + the 75% credit ($5850). In this case $7800 + $5850 = an MSRP of $13650 or more. That cut out the C1100 by $650.

To get the MSRP of an item one has to contact a dealer who has to get that info from McIntosh. McIntosh will then tell the dealer whether or not they will accept the trade. No amount of reading McIntosh’s promotional email or any of its links will tell you any of this. Asking an authorized dealer will reveal little more than what one can glean from the web as they have to get all their info from McIntosh.

So yes, I agree that the program is ambiguous.
Wow, Eric, sounds like a lot of "fine print." Sorry to hear that you had to go through so much.

So glad that I'm happy with my C2200.