View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 06:47 PM

Arrow MB50 ..... how are owners dealing without the Ethernet Port

One of the four hard drives on my beloved Kalidascape died and I came to find that yes everything was backed up in perfect bit for bit files but the only way I can get them out of the Kalidascape is to buy a new model ….. if I buy any other brand I lose the files – Life is a constant source of amusement

Anyway I’m not interested in another Kalidascape (the new model doesn’t even have a RAID back up option) so I’ve been looking around for something to fill the empty slot in my equipment rack – Things certainly have changed over 10 years …. some amazing equipment out there

Was chatting over the situation with my installer and he offered me a McIntosh MB50 floor model to take home and demo – The MB50 set up easily and the streamer worked great – When I tried Tidal HD that was a terrific surprise for a few hours …..then problems started with the signal – Seems going wireless on Tidal at peak demand is better run through a hard connection – Now I’m guessing everyone here knows the MB50 doesn’t have an Ethernet connection so the work around is use an adapter and go through the USB port - If I do that I lose the access for my incoming NAS drive

Spoke with McIntosh and they suggested a switching box and promised details next week – I got the feeling it was a call they had received before – Anyway was wondering if anyone here had found a work around for this situation

Oh!!! --- The Play-Fi app is functional but not at all engaging but I could live with it as long as I can get the MB50 where it needs to be

Thanks for any help