View Single Post
Old 03-29-2015, 02:11 AM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
While a true comment, it obscures what IMO is the real issue. For natural sounding bass, it is far more important to have relatively even decay times than a flat frequency response. I have used EQ to hammer out a table top flat frequency response graph only to have it sound artificial. While ARO is in fact single band, its real virtue is finding and attenuating the most resonant frequency. If each sub is set as master and run alone for the ARO test the results will be very lifelike, even if the frequency response graph is not perfectly flat.
I'm not savvy enough to explain to which one is better, but can you help me (at least) out in understanding why even decay times are better than flat frequency response?

Why set each sub to master? I mean I read the same reviews as anyone else-that extol the method you mention. The manual provides a guide for multiple subs. There isn't any hard data that supported either way. In the end, the resultant response is a system response and measuring individual responses then joining them together is just as much as craft-work as rest of HiFi. Our ears hear the system response, why not measure ARO or RP the same way? What about running ARO along, then RP with ARO Active?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Aside from agreeing with Randy's post above; each and every time I have tried Room Perfect, all that was acheived was complete Bass suck out. This is why I leave the subs off when using RP and letting ARO do its job for the subs, regardless how many are in use.
Ivan, I know what you're experiencing. I believe it is the fact that listeners just do not like "flat" and we all enjoy the room gain. I can't comment on how my music sounded in the mastering room, but I imagine it's just a flat as can be and the music was allowed to have the greatest effect. The great thing about the MEN220 or the JL Sub is that end users can tweak the calibrated settings to voice the speaker the way they desire the resultant sound system to sound like.

There is no exact way, I have done all the methods described and today I feel that I am getting the best by using RP and EQ. I do enjoy reading how other do it differently.