Thread: Ref 6SE
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandor View Post
Actually I was BOTH giving my opinion and asking for yours. That's the point of such forums, isn't it ?
It is and I gave you my opinion on having heard both. I have heard both numerous times but in different systems and at different times. How that can possibly help you, I have no idea... unless of course someone has done a direct A/B and will chime in. Both the EAR and ARC are great preamps but they are different flavor and I am sure you have heard that yourself since you preferred one over the other.

But as I said in my other post, if YOU have heard and compared both and clearly liked the 912 for your system, getting further opinions is still not going to help you in the end as you are the one that has to live with it.

If you have an opportunity to listen to the Lamm LL2.1 Deluxe, which I also owned and did compare by bringing it over to my friend against the ARC Ref 5, I preferred the creamy, dreamy, slightly darker and meatier presentation over the leaner, but more resolving, crystalline and ethereal sounding Ref5

Just to clarify, my original post was not meant to be rude or to suggest one should not ask questions. I always say it like it is and I doubt the original meaning of my initial post can be twisted out of context in such a way as to make it look like anything else but what I initially said.

Conflicting opinions or a Confirmation bias, after having made up your mind by directly evaluating a product and liking it, does not exactly serve as help.

Also keeping in mind that all 3 of the preamps are TUBE and with tube rolling coming further differences and flavors... Other than having a cheerful discussion about all three preamps, nothing should change as to which you should go with . Right??

Or I can put it another way. What do you want to hear?

Perhaps others can cater to your question better as obviously my direct, logical and reassuring answer was NOT good enough.

Last edited by PHC1; 01-20-2021 at 04:16 PM.