View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 01:25 AM

Default Vivid audio - partnering gear

I had forgotten this manufacturers thread was hidden down the bottom here.

So fellas, ( i think i can say that safely) what partnering gear do you use and how does it work for you.

I ask because I have heard G3 and B1 on Luxman, K1 on Audio Research tubes and G3 on Devialet ( which on the day didn't work for me or others)

At home my B1s started with the 300 watt into 4 ohm CJ CA200 (preamped with a CT5 instead of its more natural passive pre stage), and now use CT5 and LP70s which has 70 tube watts. I am the Nordost tweak king so the system is fairly well pimped out with Valhalla in most places. Source is Naim DAC with lots of effort expended in feeding it well. I had the solid state for about 5 months before borrowing the tube amp, more by accident than anything, and preferring the sound, particularly at lower volume levels. It was just better balanced.

The setup at home has never sounded remotely like the B1s on Luxman solid state gear in the shop or the K1s on Audio Research tubes. The Luxman was very hifi sounding, where as at home I get a much more solid presentation, particularly on the all important vocals. Fortunately I like this presentation so no complaints. I have been pleasantly surprised with the bass on the B1s with tubes. While it lacks the ultimate grip of the solid state it's still very satisfying and punchy enough when required for poppy stuff like Austra or Fever Ray. I certainly don't feel the system needs any bass augmentation, although I do have bass traps.

I am particularly interested to hear if folks have tried different amps at home and what worked best. It's all subjective of course, but interesting none the less.