Thread: Sony XBR77A9G
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 07:19 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post
Can't believe you are giving up on the Kuro!!! You & I bought ours at the same time!! I'm being a little sarcastic, I still have mine but it is not my frontline TV any more. Good luck with the Sony!
If I had a 60" Kuro, the Sony wouldn't be here. My prime motivation was a bigger screen, so here we are. But if I'd had room I would have kept the Kuro for sure. This is a 1BR apartment and I have too much stuff as is.

The first thing I did was turn down the brightness to 10. It's much more watchable now. It's not a bright room, and I have sensitive eyes, so the 30 setting out of the box was WAY too much. The A9G bears a much greater resemblance to the Kuro now, though the blacks are actually deeper(!).

One thing I wonder about is what appears to be crushed whites in video content, notably live sports. Noticed it for the first time watching the Dolphins/Jets game last weekend. The sideline benches and boundary markers were solid white pretty much. Saw it again last night watching 2015 Mets highlights; the white uniforms had a similar look. Will need to explore that further. I haven't noticed it with the few BDs i've played so far, so maybe it's the cable box that's the culprit.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 12-05-2020 at 04:14 PM.