Thread: Sony XBR77A9G
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2020, 06:54 AM
Semi-audiophile

I returned to the store yesterday and made a change. I opted for the 65" A9G instead, with full calibration. In particular, the SDR calibration will be of help for standard definition content. Tentative delivery is for the day after Thanksgiving.

I auditioned the 77" model, as it was on display. The 65" will be sharper, and to a greater degree than the 55" would be vs. the 65". The 77" set's pixels are larger and further apart than on the 65", but most of my test discs were good. Wanted: Dead or Alive was quite good-looking for an old TV show, and the store owner was surprised to hear that the Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood Live from Madison Square Garden DVD wasn't a blu-ray. The one exception is my Yes Live at Montreaux DVD; shots of Rick Wakeman's keyboards looked like white hash. Calibration will help with that, I'm thinking.

I'm not a fan of the Sony's design, but that will be offset a bit by the larger size; the 65" set will have more visual weight than the 55" set, in my opinion.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 11-09-2020 at 05:32 PM. Reason: more details