View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Wow, we are getting quite a few exciting twists and turns on this forum these days.

First of all, good of you to trust your ears and not give in to "peer pressure" - bad name for it, but you get the idea.

Second, Stephen and I have very different amps. While the Shindo preamps just get "better" as you go up the line, the power-amps have their own sonic signature - there is not better or worse, just "I like this better." The Montille and the Cortese sound like two VERY different amps.

What surprises me a LOT is that the Verdier SET sounded non-forgiving to you. That's the opposite from my experience with SETs - they are quite forgiving - that's why I love them. All the SET's I've heard smooth bad recordings, the better ones manage to do the smoothing without sacrificing detail. Typically, the people who give up on SETs do so because some of them lack the "SLAM" of push-pull or because they are too forgiving.

Interesting results Jerome. Good things you had an in-home audition, that's always the safest thing to do when you are not sure.

Wow, lots of interesting development - can't wait to see what happens next on AA .

Alberto
Hi Alberto,

They had slam for sure, but less than the 2301's and you would not be surprised at this.
About the forgiving part, yes I was finally surprised myself. maybe it comes from a bad speaker match with the PMC.
But I think more about the extreme transparency of these amps.
When I connected them to the MDA1000 variable outputs, the sound was just awful. Connected again to the C1000, it was magic and wonderful....on some recordings and less than good on others. First time I hear so much difference between the MDA 1000 internal preamp and the C1000P. The level of transparency of these amps is out of this world.
This could be the reason why I had these findings finally.