View Single Post
Old 01-27-2023, 02:05 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Tima - good points. Yes, anyone claiming vibration damping should provide measurements (it is easy and inexpensive to do, folks do it everyday). I recall Stephen (Puma-Cat) did that in his home set-up (correct?)
Yup! I used an iPhone app called VibSensor and measured Power, RMS imparted to the component (in this case, my Schiit Gungnir DAC) from a "slide hammer". The slide hammer was a socket on a bolt with a nut to precisely and reproducably fix the distance of the drop of the socket onto the rack shelf precisely (to remove variance). I simply raised the socket up to the stop nut, and let it drop onto the head of the bolt resting on the shelf, and then plotted the vibration imparted to the iPhone resting on the DAC.

Here's the Z Dimension vibration data from VibSensor plotted in JMP as Power, RMS from 0 to 50 Hz. The stock Schiit feet were the worst, and the very affordable Herbie's "Tenderfeet" (red trace) did quite well given their price, but Norm Varney's EVPs (blue trace) were the most effective by far. DVT were the rubber and "blue rubber" Diversitech anti-vibration pads. I'd love to do this test with IsoAcoustics footers, but I don't have any around, and unfortunately, VibSensor is no longer available as an app.

The data is clear, though, in showing that Norm's EVPs are the most effective, by far...none of others are even close.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-27-2023 at 02:12 PM.