View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortnipper View Post
Art and science, kinda like BW photography...

Did you get a 20/40 1131 unit? That is what I got, and am a bit surprised that the 40 tap doesn't sound a bit better, and that maybe I should have gotten a 10/20 unit to be more flexible with my Benz carts, but that is what Bob recommended. Maybe it just needs some more burn in.

My mate has a MC4 he uses with a Massetto and a Koetsu Vermilion @ 6 ohms.
Yes, I got the 20/40 1131 and was suprised it did not work out better with the Ortofon. I have a local dealer who let me demo the MC4 over a weekend and the EAR at 3 ohms works very well indeed. However, I still greatly prefer Bob's 1131 and my Choir Audio H7 (with Hashimoto transformer) SUT to the EAR with my Koetsu. I'm sure the Auditorium Hommage would be better still with the SPU but $5K for a SUT is out of my budget.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion