View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junker View Post
My best in show mentions would have to include: Totem speakers driven by MBL. Incredible for their size, and unbelievable even being in a big double-room/suite. No audio treatments in room. All 3 people in my party were in different locations and left with the same impression. Three people who were not familiar with the brand left with the opinion that we would all seriously consider it for purchase. Merci, sir, merci.

Rick U I hope the Dirac does it for you...
I have to agree that the Totem were the best of the show for me as well. I had never heard of them and this was my first experience. I was just blown away. For $14,000 retail, they sounded better than some of the $100K+ speakers (at least to me). I will seriously take a closer look at Totum if I ever decide to upgrade.

And I was impressed with the Dirac software! I actually believe in room treatments and frown upon any equalization, but the Dirac software loaded on the PC sounded wonderful! Of course, my mileage will vary in my own listening space, but I will take their 2-week trial offer and install it at home.

Another gem at the show was the KEF LS50 speakers. WOW! Amazing sound from such small speakers without a sub. $1,500 retail is an outstanding price point.

And the biggest surprise of the show (for me) was the Pioneer room! Yup, the cheap stuff. Their bookshelf speakers sounded great! Everyone in the room would say "ya, they sound good" and then they're eyes would light up in disbelief when they were told the retail price of $129!!!!! Absolutely incredible at that price. They sounded like $500-$700 pair of speakers. And Walmart has them for $78!!!!! I actually ordered a pair today and have no place to put them (maybe get rid of the Tivoli in the bathroom?), but just have to own a pair. I'll have to make room in the bedroom.

The show was bigger than I had anticipated. Purchased some CD's, SACD's, Blu-Rays, etc. Another highlight was meeting Ron-C of McIntosh. Finally nice to put a face next to all those posts. Very nice and personable guy! Wish I had gone for more than one day. Will definitely go back next year.