View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Ah, and since the projector will not be enclosed, be sure to pick one that is not too noisy!
It's a close race between the Sony VPL-VW385ES and JVC DLA-RS640U at the moment... either would be a great choice. Sony pretty much has the market for true 4K, but are lagging in brightness and contrast at my price-point.

I can't seem to finalize my surround speaker choice. Right now, I'm heavily leaning toward B&W 7.3's for in-wall and in-ceiling. I have listened to them and like them quite a bit, but they are a little more than I want to spend at $1500/unit. If I could find a dealer willing to work with me a little, I may be able to swing it... but handing $15K to BestBuy for 10 speakers irks me a little (Magnolia AV is the only place to purchase them near me). So, I'm looking for a price/performance value a bit easier on the pocketbook. The THX certified Klipsch are more affordable for surround, but I'm intimidated by the highly polarized subjective opinions out there around the brand. I am trying to find a local showroom or owner that can demo them for me before I would consider... and, of course, I'm also searching for alternatives along the way. Worst case scenario, I just bite the proverbial bullet with the Bowers and Wilkins units I like and choke down the price tag.

The other "new" consideration is my learning that a Marantz 8805 (speculation) 13.2 channel pre- may be an early 2018 launch. I am at the gate to buy a AV8802A... so do I wait? If it is more than a few months into '18 out, the answer is probably no, but it's worth seeing how things unfold after Christmas.

/c