View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 03:36 PM

Thanks, Rex. A lot of good information in your post.

Especially informative is this: "Re: bass on records vs CD's: due to the physical limitations of cutting vinyl, records have to roll off deep bass extension and limit the amount of bass. CD's do not have bass limitations."

For some reason, I had not connected the dots on this. Our old speakers did not reveal the difference, because they rolled of CDs and records way before the recording limits played in.

We will measure the cartridge weight to make sure it is within spec. Set up was done by a pro, but I had lightened it a bit afterwards. Pretty sure I am close to dead on the recommended tracking force, but will check anyway.

As to turntable isolation: That has got to be it. I am sure a proper rack would also help, but step one is to simply move the thing. We'll see how that works out.

Room effects: I am confident that creating a worse environment for audio would require careful engineering. The left channel is near about 10 inches from the edge of a very low 250 pound sofa, and about 4 feet from a window. The right channel is next to an open dining area, but hits a corner about 20 degrees off axis (away from the listening position). Also, the left channel is on carpet, but the right is on an extension of hardwood from the dining area.

We should think about room treatments.
l MA7900 Integrated Amp l Sonus Faber Concerto Speakers l Clearaudio Performance Turntable w/Ortofon Credenza Cartridge l Rega Saturn CD Player l Marantz Tuner l PlayStation-4 l Transparent MM2 Cables & Power l