View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 02:09 PM

I might just have to take you up on that generous offer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
By all means, you should come to Cary NC and really see what all the fuss is about. A trip to the shop would be like a pilgrimage to Mecca for anyone who has ever heard an Inspire amp and loved the sound. If you manage to schedule a visit, I would be happy to take the PSE 45 over to the shop and let you have a listen to it as well. The Inspire speakers are also well worth hearing.
Great news! This should give me a good idea of what to expect with my current speakers in terms of overall volume and offer similar presentation.

Quote:
If I recall correctly, they are in the 92-94 db/w/m range and they go down to 40-45 Hz. I have never really found them lacking in the bass dept, although that may be a function of Dennis' listening room
I'm not too sure just how much headroom is needed for most people but considering the type of music I usually listen to and that I am not really into classical music all that much, a PSE45 could be just the ticket...

Quote:
Considering that you say that the meter isn't going much over 1 watt, even a 2 watt 45 SET amp may drive your speakers without strain, but I really am now a believer in the extra depth, richness and oomph the 45 PSE configuration adds.
I actually love how VOTT speakers look!! But their size certainly doesn't make them very room friendly
How about a pair of Model 19? Perhaps that could do it for him?

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, the PSE45 sounds amazing on the Inspire OB speakers, but I tend to run extremely high efficiency speakers because I love the sound of 50 year and older Altecs or Khorns, and the horn taming effects of highly engineered toob amps. I've tried to foist a pair of A7s off on Dennis for as long as he wants them, but they are too big (and possibly too ugly) for his shop.
My pilgrimage to Mecca would most like have to be scheduled sometimes mid-December if it can fit your schedule as well as Dennis'. I recall someone commenting that Dennis loves a challenge so I'll try to convince him to go with an all out assault to get as close as possible to your PSE45 but using KT77 output tubes or any other affordable tube that fits the application. And depending on the end result, I might just have to bring the amp back with me to Montreal!

Quote:
Heh, the problem with me commenting on the KT77 PSE prototype is that nothing ever seems to stay around the shop long enuff for me to really get familiar with the sound. Either it gets sold off, or it gets reworked to something else. I have heard a number of similar amps since then, and they are always very impressive, but to my ears they just don't have quite the same magic in the mid range, the honey that just drips out of the speakers when all is in alignment. In my mind, the magic really lives inside the tube, and the real art to amp designing and building is to figure out the best way to let the magic shine through.
This is making a lot of sense as to why Dennis still hasn't built his own version of your amplifier. Hopefully your 71-A build with 3 output tubes per side can be finished in time for my visit!!

Quote:
Dennis is pragmatically handicapped by the fact that he builds in much greater volume than I do, so he has to use tubes that are one, consistent in their sound and build quality, and two, are available in enough quantity that he doesn't spend all his time trying to chase down enough tubes to properly outfit the number of amps that roll off the line. So that being said, I also have a love affair with old dusty triodes, so much so that I am going with this cockamamie 71-A build I've been planning.

Last edited by david45; 10-20-2017 at 10:11 AM.