View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 12:06 PM

I am not certain if having the 20W output transformers is a guarantee that one has the 17 wpc version. It depends upon the voltages in the circuit. Perhaps Dennis always used the 15W OTs with the 12 wpc designs?

As to driving the tubes hard, Dennis has previously stated that he feels the amps sound better when they are not driven to maximum. When he released the PSE amps, he said that they would produce something like 22-24 watts with two KT88s per channel, not overdriving them because he felt this was where they sounded best.

I purchased the 17 watt version, used, for a price below the 12 watt new. I felt I needed every watt I could get as even with my SS amp - spec'ed at 180wpc with dual external power supplies and which has been measured to get to 260 before clipping - I have clipped it a few times.

Going to a PSE would buy me what, 1 more decibel? But then maybe more magic in every watt.

I am content with using my Inspire for moderate volume levels, which is where I listen the vast majority of the time. The SS amp is there for when I want to crank it up.

Would I love a 60wpc tube amp with the magical sound of an Inspire? Sure! But I have no idea if such an amp exists. Right now I am pondering the purchase of a pair of 450wpc monoblocks! Not because I need 450, but because they would provide essentially limitless clean power and there is something to be said about having even the most fleeting transient reproduced with no strain.

Last edited by Bombadil; 08-13-2017 at 01:01 PM.