View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubla36 View Post
How do you feel it compares to a MC275VI?
I have never compared the two directly as they occupied different times, different gear/speakers and different rooms, size and acoustic response wise.

I had the MC275MK "IV" not "VI".

Also keep in mind I am running a PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP "integrated", not separates. So for the price of MC275, you have a whole system instead of an amp with a preamp to purchase on top... Plus I get to listen to headphones through 14 tubes with a true voltage divider, not some op-amp cheap transistor...

But... what I can say is that the PrimaLuna easily keeps up with with some of the best solid state I have owned in terms of recreating a very, very, open soundstage, both width and depth wise, on some recordings it even throws a taller soundstage if it was mastered that way in the studio.

Very palpable, tightly focused and well fleshed out imaging. It easily recreates the room and the space if captured by the microphone that way. Very easy to appreciate that air and spatial qualities on "ONE MIC", high resolution recordings.

Bass is on another level with the PrimaLuna. I often forget I am listening in Triode mode and then I will catch myself thinking about the bass resolution and articulation only to realize I am listening to EL34 tubes in Triode mode! Ultralinear boosts the power for a more dynamic sound and sometimes the listening levels or certain recordings/genres call for that. Nice to have a choice!

There is no doubt in my mind that the PrimaLuna designers left no stone unturned when they sat down to design the line and I do not believe the primary objective was to get rich off their designs. Just way too much quality, smart circuits and high quality parts, all resulting in performance WAY above its price tag. Sometimes you just do things for passion and this seems to be that case, it is very evident.

I can honestly say that the PrimaLuna integrated does move me in more ways that a whole bunch of other very expensive tube gear did... (I don't want to mention not to upset anyone) and I have nothing to gain from sharing my opinion on the PrimaLuna products.

So I honestly have never compared the MC275 in my mind to the PrimaLuna. It just did not leave as lasting an impression on me. I do not miss the MC275 per se but I would seriously miss the PrimaLuna...

Anyone looking to get into tubes should seriously consider the PrimaLuna. Even if planning on spending multiples, would still be wise to sit down and listen objectively.

Last edited by PHC1; 12-29-2020 at 02:07 PM.