View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 10:10 PM

I had the chance to audition the E-270 yesterday. What an amazing piece of gear. I had a great opportunity to mix and match both amps and speakers and here are the mixes and impressions:

Accuphase E-270
Simaudio Moon 600i
Octave V110

Sonus Faber Olympica II
Focal Kanta No. 2

Aurender N10 for the source into a Simaudio Moon 750d DAC.

The Sonus sounded great with each amp. What a nice set of speakers. Very musical and relaxed. It had great imaging, soundstage and detail with all of them, but honestly sounded best with the Accuphase.

With the Focal's it was an exercise in contrasts:

The Octave was almost unlistenable for me. Im not sure what it was with this amp but with the Beryllium tweeters, it was edgy and harsh. It didn't matter what material I was playing, it was way too bright.

The Simaudio was better. Very clean, detailed and nice soundstage. I would be happy with this amp, but it was almost twice as much in price as the Accuphase. If i was going to spend $9k, i'd go with the upgraded Accuphase (370 or 470) or stretch for the E-650 and go class A.

The E-270 was an amazing match with both speakers. Great detail, nice bottom end, crisp highs and a deep soundstage. I was floored that this piece pretty handily beat two amps almost twice its price. Now to figure out how to afford one....